New Urban High School and the North Clackams School District welcomes the rich diversity of English Language Learners (ELL) bring to our schools. Like all of our students, ELL students have the right to a quality education that reflects NUHS's Academic and English Language Proficiency Standards. ELL programs are provided in the New Urban High School and the North Clackamas School to ensure that all:
- Students learn to speak, read and write English well.
- Students have access to the entire school curriculum.
- Students are supported to reach high academic standards in English and the content areas from grades K-12.
- Students learn in a setting supportive of their native language and culture.
- Families can participate fully in the education of their children.
School selection for ELL students depends on their address, the availability of support programs for their home language, and the decisions of their families. School programs offer different combination's of these ELL services.
Although NUHS does not encourage it, families may choose to waive ELL services if they believe that their child can successfully participate in the general education curriculum without additional ELL services or support.