Feed a Child This Weekend
Latest News (June 2012)
Here is some news following the June end-of-year meeting of the Backpack Buddies
• The North Clackamas Education Foundation donated gift cards to the program. Thanks to the foundation.
• We are going to work on building a relationship with Dave's Killer Bread, so we can send home bread for long breaks. Make sure to discuss this with your partners (schools, support partner) to make sure this can work throughout the process of packaging and getting food home with kids. Some partners are already doing this and figuring this out. If we can make this an opportunity for everyone, GracePointe has agreed to be the location for pick up.
• We sometimes get requests from youth groups to volunteer for the program. The Elks and Lions are able to take on these volunteers. If there are others who are willing to provide service hours for youth groups, please let me know.
• Some new need awaits us in the fall: There is need for partners to support growing need at Oak Grove, and to replace reduced partnership support at Duncan, as well as the SnackPack program at the east side middle schools. Rowe Middle also needs more support for the snack program there.
• Anyone interested in volunteering for the summer food lunch program (teams of 2-3 are needed for four-day commitments at various locations) should contact Kathy Harrison at503-353-6019
• We are exploring how to help hunger needs at the high schools. Anyone interested in that discussion can contact me.
Thanks again for a great year. The program continues to grow and serve more and more kids. It is a model that is being shared state and nationwide.
The SnackPack Program provides snacks at the middle school level. GracePointe Church is helping at Rowe and Alder Creek Middle Schools. Rotary Clubs are helping at Rowe. Support is now needed for east side middle schools. Contact Joe Krumm at 503-353-6017.