IMPORTANT FLU VIRUS INFORMATION
Flu levels are currently rising. Flu vaccines today will reduce the risk of catching flu and minimize symptoms.
In addition to the flu shot, other prevention steps Oregonians can take to reduce the spread of the virus are:
· Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or your arm when you cough or sneeze, and throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
· Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers are also effective.
· Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread that way.
· Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
· Stay home if you become sick.
· Clean work and household surfaces often.
· Wear a mask if you have a weakened immune system.
· Ask your family, friends and health providers to get a flu vaccination.
· Get plenty of sleep.
· Exercise and eat well.
· Manage any chronic conditions.
Call your doctor to see if you should be seen in a clinic, or if a prescription for anti-viral medication is needed.
Severe flu symptoms needing an emergency room visit:
· Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath.
· Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen.
· Sudden dizziness.
· Severe or persistent vomiting.
· Flu-like symptoms that improve, but then return with fever and worse.